Mostly for my own documentary purposes, I have decided to begin documenting all of my phases I go through in music. Due to the fact that my phases have gotten progressively shorter the more music I listen to, I think this will be a cool way to go about documenting them. These are not so much reviews as they are personal blurbs that may or not describe the album qualitatively. I am taking no longer than 15 minutes to write all of these because I do not want this to become a chore, so I really wouldn't anticipate any sesquipedalian or poetic epics on these albums--just my humble thoughts on them immediately after I feel I have fully digested the album and am thoroughly obsessed. Additionally, I will be doing FLASHBACK features of albums that I listened to the day I wrote the feature, but obsessed over before I started the blog. Anyhow, enjoy!

Monday, August 10, 2015

I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One by Yo La Tengo

"Return To Hot Chicken," "Moby Octopad," "Sugarcube," "Damage," "Deeper Into Movies," "Shadows," "Stockholm Syndrome," "Autumn Sweater," "Little Honda," "One PM Again," "Center Of Gravity," "We Are An American Band," and "My Little Corner Of The World." You probably thought I was giving the track listing there for a second. But I wasn't. I was listing the songs that kick my ass. Every song on this album is amazing with the possible exception of "Spec Bepop," which really isn't bad. It just kind of goes on a little longer than it should have.

Is this album too long? Heavens, no. Isn't it only like 45 minutes? *goes to check Google*

Christ, the album is 70-minutes long? Wow. That is like 25 minutes of material that I feel like has been squished down. Believe me, if an album drags on, I will say it. I am not heaping unusual praise on this album. I genuinely just assumed it was of normal length. Because it packs a punch. It quite literally has some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Wanna know how long "Return To Hot Chicken" is? It is like a minute-and-a-half. And somehow it feels like a full statement. How they manage to do this with so little time and no vocals, I am uncertain. My guess is that they have gotten good at making shit really interesting from being a shoegaze band and now that they turned to a more rock-based sound, they are able to create beauty effortlessly. That is what I would dare posit.

In any case, this is an astounding album. As pretty as it is mesmerizing as it is glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment