Mostly for my own documentary purposes, I have decided to begin documenting all of my phases I go through in music. Due to the fact that my phases have gotten progressively shorter the more music I listen to, I think this will be a cool way to go about documenting them. These are not so much reviews as they are personal blurbs that may or not describe the album qualitatively. I am taking no longer than 15 minutes to write all of these because I do not want this to become a chore, so I really wouldn't anticipate any sesquipedalian or poetic epics on these albums--just my humble thoughts on them immediately after I feel I have fully digested the album and am thoroughly obsessed. Additionally, I will be doing FLASHBACK features of albums that I listened to the day I wrote the feature, but obsessed over before I started the blog. Anyhow, enjoy!

Thursday, July 23, 2015

FLASHBACK: Innervisions by Stevie Wonder

You guys should have seen this coming.

To say that I ever went through a phase with Innervisions is incorrect. That's like saying I went through a phase with The White Album or OK Computer. It is one of those albums that has just sort of always been there. And, somehow, despite its ubiquity in my life, every listen seems to only propel its status in my mind further into the stratosphere.

Writing about Innervisions seems wrong somehow. Like trying to describe salt. It is such a particular, divine flavour. It is a truly perfect album. Every song on it either makes me want to cry or dance or scream. It is one of the most emotive albums I have ever heard, to be sure. I mean, have you heard "Living For The City"?

You guys, I have written 25-page essays about minutiae of evolutionary theory, but pounding out a few decent paragraphs without repeating, "It's great," in all caps ad nauseum on Innervisions is proving to be an impossible task. So just live with the fact that this album is a perfect 10/10 and that is all I have to say about that.

Withstood The Test Of Time: Again, the whole album, but in particular, "Living For The City," "Higher Ground," "Jesus Children Of America," and "He's Misstra Know-It-All."

No comments:

Post a Comment